With the many rollator walkers available today, it can be very confusing for the typical shopper to find the right one for him.
What’s the best rollator walker out there? This article shares with you pointers in choosing the right rollator walker and then lists down the 7 top rated rollators today.
Types Of Rollator Walker
A rollator walker is simply a walker that has wheels at the bottom of its legs. It can be a three wheel or four wheel rollator.
There are distinct advantages of four wheel rollators. The extra leg gives it more stability compared to the tri-walker rollator.
There’s little chance that you will fall off when you are standing and holding on to a four wheel rollator.
Moreover, four wheel rollators have a seat. It is a convenient feature as it would allow you to sit whenever you get tired.
It would come in handy when you are in the mall or hospital, where a seat may not be readily available.
A tri-wheel Walker may not have a seat, but it is a lot easier to maneuver it in tight spaces.
The slim design of the walker makes it the ideal companion when going to doctor’s offices and markets where the aisles aren’t always wide for a four-wheel rollator to get through.
A tri-wheel Walker is also more compact and thus easier to park in restaurants and similar public places.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Rollator Walker?
Whether you’re getting one with three wheels or one with four wheels, you will be able to benefit from a rollator in the following ways:
1. Stability. A rollator walker can provide you with ample support to stand up. It gives more support than a cane.
It also minimizes the risk of falling especially for the elderly who have decreased balance, strength, and endurance.
2. Faster movement. With a rollator, you can move a lot faster. You simply have to push the rollator so that you can move forward.
There’s no need to lift it up, like in using a medical walker. With a rollator, you can be more mobile at home or outdoors.
3. Independence. Using a rollator can also make you more independent despite your age.
Aside from allowing you to move better, a rollator can make you stand for an extended period. It has storage bags where you can put your things such as your wallet, glasses, medicines, and phone.
You will need very minimal assistance, especially since you have a place where you can keep essential items.
4. Convenient travel. One of the things that the elderly have to miss out on is traveling.
It can be very difficult for them to move around. Bringing a wheelchair might seem like the solution, but the problem is that it is very cumbersome to do so.
But with a rollator walker, it is a lot easier to walk fast without using a wheelchair.
Rollators are compact enough that these can be folded with one hand and then carried into the trunk of a car. These mobility aids are also easy to transport in buses and planes.
And because there’s a seat that you can always sit on whenever you get tired, a rollator is something you wish you have when you are in a busy airport or bus terminal where seats aren’t always available.
What To Look For In A Rollator Walker
A rollator walker may appear to be a very simple mobility aid, but that doesn’t mean there are only a few things that you need to look at when shopping for the best rollator walker.
Here are the factors to consider when looking for a rollator:
1. User weight capacity. In general, three-wheel and four-wheel rollators can provide support to users weighing as much as 300 pounds.
For the bigger adults who weigh up to 600 pounds, there are specialized walkers called bariatric rollators.
2. Dimensions. You’ll have to give attention to the width of the rollator walker in particular.
Its width should be no greater than 28 inches, which is the normal width of most doorways in a typical house.
To be sure, you can get a tape measure and measure the width of the doors in your home.
3. Seat width. If you are going for a four-wheel walker, then you ought to look at the size of the seat as well.
Most four wheel rollators have seats that are around 13 to 15 inches wide. For bariatric rollators, the seat is a little wider at 18 inches.
A wider seat tends to be more comfortable to sit on, but the downside is that maneuverability may be compromised.
4. Handle height. The height of the handle is necessary because you don’t want to be slouching when using the rollator, which can happen if you get a unit that is too small for you.
Most handles of rollators are in the 30-inch range. How would you know what the ideal height of the handle for you is?
Simply get a tape measure and measure the distance between the floor and your hands, with the elbow slightly bent.
5. Brake. The rollator walker must have an easy to use and reliable brake system.
A bicycle-like handbrake can secure your rollator and prevent it from moving, but you might need a lot of strength to grip it.
On the other hand, a press-down lock is easy to use, but it isn't reliable as a handbrake.
6. Storage. The ideal rollator walker has enough room for your essential items, like your purse, bottled water, medicines, and books.
It should also have a lid to cover those things you don’t like other people to see.
7. Wheels. The wheels of rollators can affect how smooth the unit goes over surfaces.
Bigger wheels will have no problems going over cobblestone and gravel, while smaller ones are best designed for indoor use.
Best Rollator Walkers Today
We’re making things easy for you by picking the top seven rollators today:
1. Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator with Fold Up Removable Back Support
This four-wheel rollator can support users weighing up to 300 pounds. It has a durable, padded seat and padded backrest which can be folded up and down.
It has a basket for storing personal items, and 7.5-inch wheels for indoor and outdoor uses. Its seat measures 15 inches wide, 8.5 inches deep, and 21 inches high.
The rollator itself measures 29.5 inches tall, 24 inches wide and 7.5 inches thick. It is about 18 pounds and should fit most compartments even of small cars.
- Very easy to assemble, requires no special tools as it arrives pre-assembled
- The handles are height-adjustable and are ergonomically designed
- Seat is wide and comfortable
- The padded backrest is hinged and can be removed by folding it up or down
- It folds into a more compact size for easy transport and storage
- Locks are reliable and easy to use
- With limited lifetime warranty
- Not really durable, with brakes said to be the easiest to break down
- It doesn’t stay closed when put in the car trunk
- A bit heavy
2. Medline Freedom Lightweight Folding Rollator
This is perhaps the lightest rollator in the market today, a good choice for adults who are weary of carrying their walkers.
It weighs just 11 pounds, around 5 lbs lighter compared to traditional rollators. It has a seat which is height adjustable, from 18 to 23 inches above the ground. It is designed to support people from 4’10” to 6’2”.
Aside from having an attractive, burgundy colored frame, this rollator can support users who are up to 250 pounds.
Under the seat is a large, water-resistant pouch and shoulder strap. The bag is removable and with zippered and mesh pockets on the side for easy access to stored items.
- Very lightweight
- With a width of 24 inches, it will easily pass through most doors
- Very durable
- Easy to fold and would fit in most car compartments
- Handle height is also adjustable
- Easy to assemble and adjust
- Wheels are ideal both for indoor and outdoor use
- Velcro straps that attach bag to the frame aren’t strong
- Has a tendency to open when folded for transport
3. Hugo Portable Rollator Walker with Seat, Backrest, and 8 Inch Wheels
This is another good choice, with a height adjustable handle and ergonomically designed hand grips.
You can walk without slouching using this walker. It also has a built-in seat with backrest.This rollator can support adults weighing up to 300 pounds.
It has large, eight-inch wheels that can make adults feel more secure and confident when they stand or walk.
The rollator has dimensions of 27 inches x 24.5 inches x 32 inches (HWD) and therefore should be able to go through most doors.
The height of the seat from the ground is 22 inches, with a width of 12 inches.
- The large wheels allow the rollator to go over uneven ground.
- The basket is enclosed, so there’s no worry about items being stolen or carrying rather embarrassing items like incontinence pads
- Brakes are easy to use and reliable
- Not as easy to fold as other rollators
- A bit bulky thus difficult to open and close
- Assembly instructions are unclear
- Relatively heavy
- Wheels don’t grip well
4. Hugo Elite Rollator Walker with Seat, Backrest and Saddle Bag
This mobility aid is designed to provide support to adults weighing up to 300 pounds.
It has a storage bag right underneath the side, providing a place for essential items to be stored.
It has height adjustable handle bars so that you can push it without compromising your posture. It is easy to assemble even without the use of special tools.
This rollator is suited for the use of individuals up to 6 feet, 2 inches in height.
It has large eight-inch wheels that can go over the uneven ground rather quickly.
The height of the seat can be adjusted from 20 inches to 22 inches. It has dimensions of 27.5 x 24 x 30 inches.
- Its extra large wheels can go over cobblestone, gravel, and uneven surfaces quickly
- It is easy to assemble
- Its storage bag is spacious enough for most personal items
- Storage can be closed
- Its seat is height adjustable
- The rollator can pass through most doors
- Hard to unfold and fold
- Bulky and thus hard to put in the compartment of small cars
5. Drive Medical Nitro Euro Style Red Rollator Walker
This is another good choice if you are looking for a quality rollator walker. Its frame is made of lightweight and durable aluminum.
The height of the handle is adjustable, with an ergonomically designed handle to boot. It has large front wheels allowing it to go over any terrain.
The rollator has locking handbrakes that are designed for excellent comfort and control of the user.
It has a roomy zippered pouch to go along with a large basket and tray. It can support adults weighing 250 pounds. It measures 24.25 inches wide and 23.75 inches deep.
- Its wheels can quickly go over most surfaces particularly those in the outdoors
- It can go through most doors
- Its handle is ergonomically designed, and this comfortable to use
- The handbrakes are very reliable
- It has lots of storage options—pouch, basket, and tray
- The front pouch is even removable so it can be used for carrying other items
- It only supports adults weighing 250 pounds and lighter
- It’s a bit heavy at around 18 pounds
- A bit hard to maneuver
6. Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator
This is a three-wheel rollator that you can get if you think the four-wheel rollator walkers are a bit heavy and cumbersome for you.
It has lightweight yet solid 7.5 inch tires that make the unit ideal for use both indoors and outdoors.
There’s a nice, tan plaid carry pouch where you can store personal items.
It also has special loop locks and brakes that keep the rollator secure.
The rollator walker has a length of 22.75 inches, a width of 26 inches, and a height of 32 inches.
It weighs just 15 pounds but can support users who whose weight is 300 pounds and less. The height of its handle can be adjusted from 31 inches to 38 inches.
- Very lightweight
- Compact and easy to store and park
- Its handle’s height can be adjusted
- It is durable
- It is easy to assemble
- It is easy to put in the car
- It is easy to maneuver
- It is a big wide for a three wheel rollator
- Its handbrakes are a bit stiff
- The front wheels are a bit wobbly
7. NOVA Medical Products Traveler 3-wheel walker
Another three-wheel Rollator makes this list. This NOVA 3-wheel walker measures 24.25 inches wide and 23.75 inches deep.
It's locking handbrakes that are designed to be reliable and easy to use for most adults. It also has a zippered pouch, a tray, and large basket.
This three wheel walker will be able to go through any terrain thanks to its extra large, 8-inch wheels.
It is one of those few three wheel walkers that have large wheels. It weighs around 20 pounds.
- Very easy to maneuver, ideal companion for elders who frequent clinics and doctors’ offices with very tight spaces
- Large, rubbery wheels can go over most surfaces
- Very stable• Easy to assemble
- Many storage options—basket, pouch, and tray
- Brakes work naturally, does not require gripping
- Handles are comfortable in the hands
- It is easy to collapse/fold
- It can fit in most car compartments
- It’s a bit heavy at 20 pounds especially for a tri-wheel walker
- The basket and tray are quite small
- The wheels can get very wobbly
Our Recommended Product
There you have it—seven of the best rollator walkers in the market today.
But you may ask us—what is the best rollator walker in the list?
We’ll have to go with the Super Light Rollator by Rollators Light Weight in Burgundy.
We feel that being the lightest in the market today makes the unit stand out. At 11 pounds, you will find it hard to find something that approximates its weight.
Aside from the weight, there are other things we like about the said rollator. The well-designed frame is one, and the large, water resistant pouch is another.
We also liked that the bag is removable, and there are zippered and mesh pockets which allow users to easily access stored items.
The issues about the rollator are very minor, to say the least. The said rollator is arguably the best in the market right now.