The best folding rollator is perhaps the best mobility aid for adults recuperating from an injury, as well as seniors who don’t want their age to get in the way of enjoying life’s best moments.
But how do you choose the right folding rollator for you or a loved one? Read this article and find out.
What Is A Folding Rollator?
Folding Rollator Walker is simply a wheeled walker that can easily fold for storage and transport.
It’s something that comes in handy during long trips, as the unit becomes compact enough to fit in the trunk even of small cars.
It is also small enough to be stored under the bed and in small rooms.
As other folding rollator reviews point out, the folding rollator often makes use of a two-button system.
You just press the buttons, and the rollator collapses and folds flat so that it can fit inside the trunk.
The foldable rollator walker could also be easier to bring the walker on a bus or a plane.
Advantages Of Using A Folding Rollator
Aside from ease of transport and storage, the following are the benefits of a folding rollator:
1. It can provide a seat for seniors and injured users. The four-wheel, folding rollator model is particularly useful for people who can’t afford to be standing for an extended period.
It has a seat where you can sit down if you get tired.
It is something you’ll appreciate having if you are in a mall and your legs got tired.
Instead of looking for a place to sit down, you can sit on the seat that is integrated into the rollator.
It’s also a great mobility aid to have if your doctor has told you that you can’t put weight on an injured body part like your feet or knees.
2. It can make you move faster and easier. Unlike the traditional four-legged walker, a folding rollator lets you move faster because of its wheels.
You simply have to walk behind the folding wheeled rollator. It works like a mini-push cart, allowing you to walk faster.
This type of mobility aid is also ideal for seniors who may no longer have the upper body strength to lift a traditional walker.
With a folding four-wheeled or three-wheeled rollators, they simply have to push the mobility device so they can move.
3. It’s maneuverable. The three-wheeled folding rollator, in particular, is easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
It often has a small turning radius. You should have no problems in getting the rollator through doorways.
You can quickly bring this walker in the supermarket, hospital, restaurants, doctors’ offices, and other public places.
4. It can carry personal items. There are folding rollator models that come with a small basket or storage bin, where you can put your stuff like handbags, hats, phone, and others small items.
5. Can be used both indoors and outdoors. Folding rollators can be utilized both indoors and outdoors.
Wheeled walkers that have wheels up to six inches in diameter are ideal for use indoors because these are unlikely to scratch floors.
On the other hand, rollators with wheels having a diameter of at least 7 inches are best for use outdoors.
These walkers can glide through uneven ground easier than those rollators with smaller wheels.
How To Choose The Best Folding Rollator
With the numerous folding rollator models online, you could get confused on which folding wheeled walker to get.
But we’ve listed some factors that you need to consider when shopping for a folding rollator:
1. Ease and safety of folding. It is recommended that you try the Walker first so that you will have an idea of how to fold and unfold it.
This will also give you the opportunity to determine whether you are comfortable with the folding/unfolding system.
You might want to steer away from rollators with trigger-style releases because it can be prone to mishandling.
If you grip the release instead of the walker handle, chances are the Walker could collapse.
You should also look for a folding rollator with clip or strap that can keep the unit folded.
2. Size and height. The height and size of the walker should be adjustable so that it would fit your height or your loved one who is to use it.
The height of the rollator should enable the user’s wrist to comfortably rest on the handle without causing him or her to slouch.
If you’re looking for a rollator with seat, then you must buy a model with an adjustable seat. The seat’s height must not be too high or too low for you or the intended user.
It must let the user have his or her feet touching the floor while seated. But it must not be too close to the ground, as it can make standing up difficult.
3. Width—the folding rollator should not be too wide so that it can go through most doorways.
Most doors in homes have a width of 20 to 24 inches, but it is better to get that measuring tape and check the width of the doors in your residence yourself.
This would give you an idea of the ideal width of the rollator you must buy.
4. Weight—a folding rollator may collapse easily so that it can fit inside the trunk of your car, but it will still be difficult to transport if it is heavy.
This illustrates the need to find a lightweight rollator.
5. Storage and accessories— most folding rollators have a basket or pouch where personal items can be stored. Others have accessories like cup holders and cane holders.
Most people prefer removable baskets and accessories like these can make the rollator more compact and thus easier to store or transport.
Best Folding Rollator Walker Today
We’ll help you out in identifying the right rollator for you or a loved one by picking seven of the best folding rollators today:
1. HealthSmart Euro Style Rollator Walker
This Euro style rollator has a sleek and modern look. It weighs just 17 pounds, but sturdy enough to accommodate users weighing as heavy as 300 pounds.
It measures 22.5 x 12.5 x 36 inches, so it should easily pass through most doors. It has a large storage tote with shoulders trap where you can put personal items and even grocery bags.
- Very easy to assemble that you don’t need to have special tools to put it together
- The seat is comfortable with a padded backrest
- Compact and lightweight that it requires minimal effort to throw in the back of the car
- The molded plastic grips are beautiful to touch and comfortable to hold.
- The front wheels measure 8 inches in diameter, which makes it ideal for use outdoors. The rear wheels are an inch smaller in diameter at 7 inches
- It is reasonably priced
- Also, has a cane holder on top of the large storage tote
- It is height adjustable
- It has a Velcro strap to hold it in place while it is folded
- Durability is questionable, especially the front wheels which can quickly wear out
- To make it collapse to its most compact version, you’ll have to remove a couple of bolts which is a bit inconvenient
2. Medline Folding Rollator Walker with Folding 8-inch Wheel
This folding rollator walker fits in most doors, as its width is just 24.5 inches. It is lightweight at 17 pounds but is made of a durable aluminum frame.
It has a large 8-inch wheel that allows it to glide through various terrains with relative ease. It has wheel brakes that can be pushed down or pulled up while sitting or standing.
It has a padded 13 x 14-inch seat, with a padded backrest for comfort. It has a convenient storage basket, and its handles are height adjustable, too.
- There are a couple of locking wheels that prevent it from rolling when the user is sitting on it.
- The height of the seat is 22 inches, which is almost the same as the standard height of 21 inches in most chairs
- The walker is easy to steer
- The basket of this rollator can be removed so that storing it won’t be difficult
- The basket has a documents storage
- Lightweight• Reasonably priced
- Good and reliable brakes stop quickly when pressed• Easy to assemble
- Sturdy and well built
- Replacement wheels are expensive
- Maybe a bit small for tall people
- It doesn’t lock when folded
3. Duro-Med DMI 3-Wheel Folding Aluminum Rollator Walker with Swivel Front Wheel
Another reasonably priced option, this Duro-Med three wheel folding rollator doesn’t have a seat.
But it is lightweight at 15 pounds, and compact so you will be able to navigate it through tight or crowded areas.
The front wheel swivels and makes the rollator easy to maneuver.
There may be no seat in this rollator, but it does have a convenient basket and storage bag where you can put multiple items.
It has ergonomic handgrips that make handling of the rollator very easy and comfortable. Plus it has bicycle-style handbrakes as well.
- Very easy to assemble, requires no special tools
- Very stable
- Since the basket is removable, collapsing the rollator into a compact size is easy and hassle-free
- The basket can even be used at home for storage of personal items
- It is very easy to maneuver thanks to its front wheels that swivel
- The brake is reliable, and the rollator stops instantly when the bicycle-style handbrakes are pressed
- Ideal for use in public places like malls, hospitals, and restaurants because it doesn’t take up a lot of space
- Handles are a bit wobbly
- No assembly instructions
- Doesn’t seem to be that durable
4. Rollator by Vice - Folding Walker with Seat, Bell, Storage Bag & Cane Holder
The main selling point of this four-wheel rollator is the way it folds up. Unlike other rollators, it folds right in the middle.
This saves a lot of space because the handles are brought inward. It also has a dual braking system that can be locked when the user sits down on the wide seat.
This rollator also has a handy bell that can work as a safety feature, alerting people of your presence and thus preventing injuries and accidents. It also has a storage bag and cane holder.
- The brake is safe and reliable. It is easy to use as well—simply press in to lock down the rollator
- Its seat is comfortable to sit in
- The backrest is well padded
- It rolls very well
- The height is adjustable
- The basket zips at the top and holds a pretty decent number of small items
- The cane holder is a nice add-on aside from the basket
- No instructions on how to assemble it
- It’s not as durable as other rollators
- The cane holder’s plastic knob is easy to break
5. Hugo Mobility Sidekick Side-Folding Rollator Walker with Seat
This four wheel rollator weighs 17 pounds but can accommodate users who are up to 250 pounds in weight.
It has 8-inch front wheels that make it ideal for use outdoors, capable of gliding through gravel and uneven ground.
Its seat is also wide enough for most users and has a contoured backrest to boot.
- Easy to assemble
- Fits most adults
- There are assembly instructions included in the package
- The storage bag is removable
- Attractive design
- Good breaks
- The front wheels improve mobility over rough surfaces
- Reasonable price tag
- Great turning radius, easy to maneuver
- It can be a bit wobbly at times
- Not as stable as the other four-wheel rollators
- Not durable, some reviewers say the pieces tend to fall after a month of use
6. HomCom Folding Mobility Rollator Walker w/ 3 Wheels
This is a three-wheel rollator with the front wheel of the omnidirectional type. This results in easy handling of the rollator, especially in maneuvering through tight spots.
The brake is reliable too, plus it has a one-button operation for ease in opening and folding. There’s a handy storage bag for holding various items.
- It is made of high quality yet lightweight aluminum
- It has a one-button operation so users will find this very easy to fold/unfold
- It is lightweight at 15 pounds
- The 25-inch width of the rollator means it can easily pass through doorways
- There’s slip resistant rubber on the armrest
- Very affordable
- Braking feature is useful and reliable
- The large, handy storage bag accommodates a lot of items
- Not really durable
- Not stable
- Doesn’t have a seat
7. NOVA Medical Products Zoom Rolling Walker
This is an excellent foldable walker that comes with 8-inch rugged wheels. Its seat has four height levels, from 29.5 inches to 33.75 inches.
With an adjustable seat, it can accommodate petite to tall users. The handbrakes are easy to use as well.
This rollator may weigh only 16 pounds, but it can accommodate users who are up to 300 pounds heavy.
It has a large padded seat that can make users feel comfortable while they sit on it. There’s also a pouch under the seat where personal items can be stored.
- It has a lock that prevents the rollator from opening when it is stored or transported
- Very stable
- Very durable
- Easy to assemble, no special tools needed
- It has an instruction guide to help you in putting the rollator together
- Lightweight but feels very solid
- Very easy to maneuver despite being a four-wheel roller
- Its canvas bag under the seat is spacious. You can put a lot of things inside from groceries, newspaper, purse, keys, etc.
- The wheels are sturdy and durable enough to navigate or pass through gravel
- 24-inch width of the rollator means that it can quickly go through doorways, even in small bathrooms
- Its seat has four height levels— 18 inches, 20 inches, 22 inches, and 24 inches
- Comes with limited warranty and 5-year warranty on the brakes
- The brakes can be noisy when locked/unlocked
- Lock doesn’t always work
Our Recommended Product
The aforementioned three wheel and four wheel rollators will all make an excellent mobility aid for you or your loved one, whether it’s your spouse or parent.
But which one would we recommend?
If budget isn’t a concern, then you should go with the NOVA Medical Products Zoom Rolling Walker.
Many users think the same, which explains why it has a very high user rating on the popular online store.
It may be expensive, but the quality of the rollator is peerless. It is very stable and durable. It is lightweight, but an adult weighing 300 pounds can sit on it. And its seat can be adjusted, too.
The folding rollator also has a lock that prevents the unit from unfolding when it is stored in your car’s compartment. It is easy to assemble, and should easily pass through most doorways.
There’s no denying that this is perhaps the best folding rollator in the market today.