Are you shopping for a mobility aid for your parent who’s on the heavy side? A bariatric rollator, which is sometimes called a heavy duty walker, is the one you should get. The best bariatric rollator can allow your loved one to move around faster than using the standard medical walker.
What Is A Bariatric Rollator?
The bariatric rollator walker is a medical walker that has wheels on the bottom of the frame.
Instead of lifting it so that the adult can walk, a bariatric rollator can be pushed around and allow the user to move along quickly.
As you would read in other bariatric rollator reviews, this type of mobility aid comes in three and four-wheeled models.
Most of these rollators have accessories like a storage bag, cup holder and even a cane holder.
Types Of Bariatric Rollator
Bariatric Rollators can be classified into two— three-wheeled and four-wheeled rollators.
The three-wheeled rollators are smaller than the four wheeled walkers.
They’re great to use in small spaces like bathrooms and condos. Their smaller frame allows the user to navigate them easily in grocery alleys, for instance.
The small frame also works to the advantage of the user, as he or she can easily store or transport it by putting it behind the rear car seat.
On the other hand, a four-wheeled rollator may have a bigger footprint than the three wheel version.
But it has one glaring advantage--- it provides a seat to the user, allowing him or her to rest anytime.
Four wheeled rollators also have a storage basket, often placed under the seat.
Brakes are standard in this type of rollator, preventing accidents from occurring. There are also locks that keep the rollator in place while the user sits on the mobility aid.
Benefits Of Using A Bariatric Rollator
Regardless of the type of bariatric rollator you buy, you can be assured that your loved one will enjoy these benefits:
1. Improved mobility. Bariatric Rollators allow adults to move around faster than using a medical walker.
They simply have to push the rollators forward, and then take a step. It’s far easier than a walker that needs to be lifted up so that the user can move forward.
2. Independence—with a bariatric rollator, it is now possible for adults to walk around without the assistance of a nurse or caregiver.
Bariatric Rollators have storage bags where seniors can put their things like phones, water bottles, keys, etc.—no need to ask someone to hold their stuff for them.
3. Convenience—four wheel bariatric rollators can give adults a seat which they can use every time they get tired.
It’s also a handy feature in public areas like malls and hospitals, where seats may not be readily available.
4. Portability--- unlike wheelchairs that can be tough to transport, a wheeled walker can allow adults to travel rather quickly.
Three and four wheel walkers can be folded, enabling them to fit inside the car trunk.
The ability to be also folded makes bariatric rollators easy to store at home or be ‘parked’ in public areas.
How to Choose The Best Bariatric Rollator
In choosing the best bariatric rollator for your parent, here are the things or factors you should consider:
1. User weight capacity. Bariatric Rollators can support adults who weigh up to 500 pounds.
In choosing a unit, make sure that you double check the user weight capacity of the rollator and ensure that it matches with the weight of the intended user.
This would assure you that you are getting a right model for your loved one, and significantly reduce the risks of falling.
2. Size/weight. Look for a bariatric rollator that is lightweight.
The weight of the rollator can affect the portability aspect of the unit, as heavier rollators can be harder to transport.
Moreover, large bariatric rollators may not fit inside the trunk of your car especially if you have a Mini Cooper. The ideal bariatric rollator should weigh under 30 pounds.
3. User’s needs. Ask your parent if he or she needs a portable seat.
If the answer is in the affirmative, then you should get the four-wheel bariatric rollator.
But if the answer is no, you may settle for the three-wheeled version.
4. Comfort. If you are to get a four-wheeled rollator, then look for a unit that has a padded seat and backrest.
This will ensure that the user will be comfortable when sitting on the rollator.
5. Braking system. The ideal bariatric rollator has a bicycle-style handbrake.
The user simply has to press the handbrakes to stop the rollator.
It is particularly useful when the user is outside and navigating sloping terrain like hills.
Moreover, the brakes should be reliable all the time to prevent accidents.
6. Height adjustable handle. The height of the handle should be adjustable to conform to the height of the user.
The last thing you want to happen is for your parent to slouch when pushing the bariatric rollator.
7. The height of the seat. This is particularly important if you are buying the four-wheel version.
The height of the seat must be adjustable so that the user won’t be too close to the ground when seated.
A seat that is too low for an adult may make it difficult for him or her to stand up.
8. Handles. The handles of the best bariatric rollator should be ergonomically designed.
This way, your parent will find it comfortable to use the bariatric rollator even for extended periods.
9. Wheels. Bariatric Rollators should have large wheels.
This would enable the rollator to move smoothly even on uneven surfaces, especially outdoors.
The wheels must also be safe to use indoors, and not damage hardwood floors and other types of flooring.
10. Storage bag. The storage container should have enough space for essentials like phones, handbag, wallet, and hats, among others.
Top 7 Best Bariatic Rollator Today
There are a lot of things that you should consider when shopping for a bariatric rollator.
It can get overwhelming for any buyer, but we’re making things easier for you by picking the seven best bariatric rollators today:
1. Medline MDS86800XWS Heavy Duty Bariatric Rollator
This is a heavy duty mobility aid that can provide ample support to adults who weigh up to 500 pounds.
It has large, 8-inch wheels with reinforced forks and spokes for superior strength.
It measures 44.5 inches in height, 29 inches in depth, and 29 inches wide. It has a padded seat measuring 17.5 x 14 inches, with a Velcro pocket underneath.
The handles can be adjusted from 31.5 inches to 37.5 inches.
The height of the seat is 22 inches, although this is not adjustable. It weighs 25 pounds.
- It has loop brakes that allow users to stop safely
- The use of a deep, soft pocket makes it easier to fold the unit and fit inside the car trunk
- Good design and sturdy construction
- Reasonably priced• Easy to assemble
- Big wheels, goes through uneven surfaces very quickly
- Easy to maneuver
- Very wide and thus doesn’t go through most standard doors. You’ll have to fold it so that it can pass through your doors
- Not ideal for use in small spaces/rooms
- Should have come with an instruction manual
2. NOVA Medical Product Mighty Mack Heavy Duty Rolling Walker
This is a heavy duty rolling walker that is ideal for indoor and outdoor use.
It is sturdy enough to support adults who weigh 600 pounds.
Its seat has a height of 21.5 inches, with dimensions of 19.75 inches wide and 13.25 inches depth.
The seat is comfortable, with a removable rubber pad.
This is a foldable, four-wheel rollator. The height of the handle can be adjusted from 30.25 inches to 36 inches.
It is ideal for users standing 5 feet 5 inches up to 6 feet in height. It has a removable front wire basket for storage of various items.
- It has reflectors that act as a security feature. Motorists and other people will be able to see the user even in low lighting conditions
- It is sturdy and well made• It is easy to assemble
- The price is reasonable
- It can accommodate big adults
- The seat is broad and comfortable to sit on
- Lifetime warranty on the frame limited five-year warranty on the brake
- This is not the most portable rollator because of its width
- It’s very heavy
- The instruction manual lacks details
- It’s very bulky
3. Drive Medical 10215RD-1 Go-Lite Rollator Oversize
This rollator has eight-inch wheels that allow it to glide easily both indoors and outdoors.
It also has a large basket that can be placed under the seat.
There is a special loop lock for safety. It can support users weighing 500 pounds.
The seat of this four-wheel rollator has a height of 22 inches, too bad that it is not adjustable.
The width is 18 inches, and the depth is 13 inches. Overall this rollator measures 26.75 inches long, 30.5 inches wide, and 35.25 inches tall.
- It is well-made, with a reinforced steel frame
- It is easy to assemble. You’ll only need to put the handles, the basket, and the bar across the front
- It has a soft padded and oversized seat, ideal for big adults
- It is easy to fold. Simply flip up the seat, grab the bar, and lift
- Very inexpensive
- Wheels can go over bumps very quickly
- It is wide and may not be able to go through doors of most households
- Very heavy
- The height of the seat is not adjustable
4. Invacare Bariatric Rollator
This is made of an extra strong steel frame. It can support adults who weigh up to 500 pounds.
It has a flip-up padded seat, while the storage basket is spacious enough for many items.
The eight-inch wheels can overcome bumps and obstacles along the way.
This is a relatively lightweight rollator at 26 pounds.
Its seat has a height of 22 inches from the floor, and the width inside the hand grips is 22 inches.
There is a backrest that is removable. It comes with a limited five-year warranty.
- It has a sturdy steel frame
- The seat is wide enough for many big adults
- The storage bag underneath the seat is convenient
- Its eight-inch wheels can go over most surface easily
- It can be used both indoors and outdoors
- The seat’s height is ideal at 22 inches
- It has a nice blue color finish
- It is reasonably priced
- It is easy to assemble
- A lot of questions about its durability, some pieces tend to fall off easily
- The front wheel has a tendency to swivel a lot to the left
- Backrest’s position cannot be adjusted
- You may not be able to put this in a small car
5. Healthline Trading Bariatric Rollator Walker Heavy Duty with Large Padded Seat
This rollator has eight-inch caster wheels. Its handle’s height can be adjusted from 34 inches to 39 inches.
It is designed for big people and has a basket underneath for extra safety and convenience.
There are loop lock brakes that can prevent accidents, aside from being easy to use.
The large padded seat can make your parent comfortable even if he or she has been sitting for an extended period.
It has a width of 18 inches and a height of 21 inches.
This Rollator supports users who weigh up to 400 pounds.
- Easy to assemble
- CheapEasy to maneuver despite its size
- The seat is padded, thus comfortable to sit on
- Loop lock brakes
- ensure safety of the user
- The basket underneath the seat is big enough to hold a lot of items
- The height of the handle can be adjusted
- Limited user weight capacity at 400 pounds
- It isn’t very durable, as parts like bolts and wheels can easily fall off
- A bit wide, won’t be able to pass through most doors
6. Essential Medical Supply Endurance HD Heavy Duty Walker
This heavy duty rollator weighs only 31 pounds, but it can support adults who weigh as much as 500 pounds.
It has 7.5-inch wheels and underneath the seat is a good sized pouch.
The seat is 18.75 inches wide and 14.5 inches deep. It is about 22 inches high from the ground. The rollator has a nice blue finish.
- Large padded seat provides comfort to most users
- It has a beautiful, attractive finish
- It is relatively lightweight
- It is easy to assemble, needing no special tools
- It is easy to maneuver even in tight spaces
- The wheels are a bit small compared to other heavy duty rollators
- It isn’t that durable; brakes can easily wear off
- Backrest is positioned too forward, so users won’t be able to take advantage of the wide seat coverage
- No warranty
7. Drive Medical 10266hd-br Nitro Heavy Duty Euro Style Rollator
This one is almost the same as that of the third product in the list, although its maximum user capacity is 450 pounds.
It is made of lightweight aluminum with the height of the handle easily adjustable with the push of a button.
The height of the back support can also be adjusted with a tool-free thumb screw.
The height of the handle ranges from 36 inches to 41 inches, so this one is intended for the great adults.
The seat’s height from the floor measures 23.5 inches.
- Lightweight at around 25 pounds
- Folds easily with one hand
- Ideal for tall adults
- Seat height is perfect and is easy for most big adults to stand up from
- Wide, padded seat is comfortable to sit on
- Wheels tend to wobble
- Not really durable
- Limited user weight capacity
- No instructions how to assemble
Our Recommended Bariatric Rollator
The seven products listed above will all make a great mobility aid for adults who want to be independent.
These rollators not only provide ample support for the elderly but enable them to store their personal stuff.
Plus, the rollators are all sturdy enough to support adults who weigh at least 400 pounds.
Picking the best bariatric rollator in this list can be quite a challenge given the quality of the products.
But we are going with the Nova Medical Product Might Mack. It’s sturdy, big, and can support adults weighing as much as 400 pounds.
The reflectors are a nice security feature, and its removable front wire basket is beautiful, too.
Sure, the unit is a bit cumbersome and bulky, but those are a given when buying a bariatric rollator.
Overall, the Nova Bariatric rollator may just be the best in its class.