Looking for a mobility aid that can give you more support than a cane? Then the best 3 wheel rollator may be one you need.
The best three wheel rollator can give you extra support, allowing you to walk outside or move more freely.
Moreover, it can give you a space to store some personal items like your purse and phone.
3 Wheel Rollator
What Are Three-Wheeled Rollators?
Also called three wheeled walkers, these are wheeled versions of the standard medical walker.
There are wheels at the bottom of the frame. Thus you don’t need to lift the walker to move.
Unlike a standard walker, a three-wheeled rollator also comes with a storage bag where items like phones, wallets, and small grocery bags can be placed.
How To Use Your 3 Wheel Rollators
Using a three wheel rollator is easy.
Stand with the three wheel walker in front of you as you hold the handlebars. Then push the three wheel walker to step forward.
You can press the handbrakes if you want to slow down or stop. The handbrakes are also very handy when you are going down on a slope.
Benefits Of Using A 3 Wheel Rollator
The best three wheel rollator can give you the following advantages:
1. Improved mobility
Sure, regular medical walkers can help you move around. But a three-wheeled walker can make you move faster, as you will only have to push it around to move.
It is also a lot easier to use. You don’t need to have a good upper body strength to push it, unlike in using a standard medical walker.
The standard three-wheeled rollator has a storage bag where you can put your essential items.
You can place your handbag, phone, wallet, and even grocery bag on the storage bag.
Some storage bags are also removable, so it won’t get in the way when you fold the rollator for transport or storage.
Three wheeled walkers can be folded so that it can easily fit in the trunk of a car.
The rollator can also be folded and ‘parked’ in the corner of a room, particularly in public spaces like doctor’s offices, restaurants, and hospitals.
Compared to wheelchairs that can be very heavy, a three-wheeled walker is lightweight.
Most of the top models featured in 3 wheel rollator reviews weigh less than 20 pounds. In comparison, a standard wheelchair weighs around 35 lbs.
This makes a three wheel rollator an excellent travel companion especially for the elderly.
Three wheeled rollators have a small turning radius, which allows them to be easily navigated even in tight spaces.
Users won’t have any problems bringing a three wheel rollator to any public area like groceries and hospitals.
A 3 wheeled rollator can also get through most doorways, even those of small bathrooms.
Three wheel rollators have a handbrake that they can press in when they need to stop the unit.
Most units have a handbrake similar to that of a bicycle, making it a lot easier for adults to use it.
Plus, these rollators have a lock or strap that keeps the unit folded when in storage.
6. Ease of assembly
Three wheel rollators usually come pre-assembled. There’s no need to put them together, unlike in a standard wheelchair.
There are also no special tools required in assembling a wheeled rollator.
You can use a three wheel rollator at home or in the park. Its wheels should be able to glide through uneven surfaces.
It can also be used indoors as the wheels won’t damage hardwood floors and carpets.
8. Comfortable to use
Three wheeled rollators often have ergonomically designed handles, so users will be able to hold them comfortably.
Moreover, these units have height adjustable handles thus adults won’t have to slouch when pushing them.
How To Choose The Best 3 Wheel Rollator
You will be able to pick the right three wheel rollator for you if you keep in mind the following factors:
1. Look into the user capacity of the rollator
Three wheel rollators are designed to support adults that weight up to 300 pounds.
Check the user weight capacity of the rollator first, and determine if you or the intended user is within that weight limit.
2. Choose a lightweight and slim unit
The ideal three wheel rollator is one that is lightweight enough for the user. Most three wheel rollators weigh 10 to 15 pounds.
With a lightweight rollator, you will have no problems folding it with one hand and lifting it into the car trunk.
Moreover, the three wheel rollator should be slim enough so that it won’t take up a lot of space in the car’s compartment, or in your room.
A small rollator will also not be an obstacle to other people when you park it beside your seat in a restaurant, or at your doctor’s office.
Being slim designed also allows the rollator to be moved around quickly especially in tight spaces like bathrooms.
3. Buy a rollator with a spacious storage bag
The storage bag is one feature that makes the three wheel rollator a more practical choice than the standard walker.
The ideal storage bag is one that is spacious enough for small items like phones, wallet, newspaper, water bottles, books, keys, and the like.
4. Consider the width of the unit
While most three wheel rollators should fit inside narrow doorways like those of small bathrooms, it would still be wise for you to measure the width of the smallest door in your home.
Then look at the dimensions of the rollator, particularly its width, so you would know if the wheeled walker is a good buy or not.
5. Look for a unit with a height adjustable handle
Similar to the width of the rollator, you will have to check the height of the handle.
Ideally, the height of the handle should give you an inch or two of space around your wrist. It should also be of the right height, one that would not force you to slouch as you push the rollator.
6. Consider the accessories as well
Aside from the storage bag which is standard in three-wheel rollators, you may want to get a unit with a cup holder.
Others have smaller pockets for ID and phones. It’s really up to you which of the accessories would be useful to you.
Top 5 Three Wheel Rollators
You’d be surprised at the number of three wheeled walkers you will find on the Internet. But we’ve picked five of the best models today:
1. Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator
This is a lightweight unit that has 7.5-inch tires. Those wheels are ideal both for indoor and outdoor use.
The wheels can facilitate a smooth ride over most surfaces, where you are inside the house or in the park. It has a nice, tan plaid carry pouch where you can put your personal items.
The rollator has a length of 22.75 inches, a width of 26 inches, and a height of 32 inches. It weighs 15 pounds and can provide superior support to adults weighing as much as 300 pounds.
The handle’s height can be adjusted from a minimum of 31 inches to as high as 38 inches.
- It is extremely maneuverable even in tight spaces
- Its large wheels let it roll over most obstacles like rough parking slots and uneven ground
- It is easy to “park” the rollator in offices and restaurants
- Because it is lightweight, users say they have no troubles folding it, carrying it with one hand and putting it in the car trunk
- It comes completely assembled, with the handlebars the only ones to be inserted at the correct height
- It is very stable
- The price is reasonable
- The brakes are very reliable
- The storage bag has a deep pocket, with a privacy cover that snaps over to protect the items being stored
- Comes with a little brochure that offers very minimal info/user instructions
- The handbrakes are not adjustable,
- Poor customer service/support
- The handbrakes may be a bit tricky to lock
- It’s a bit wide so it may not pass through narrow doorways
2. Drive Medical 3 Wheel Rollator
TThis is another three wheel rollator from Drive Medical, the same company behind the first item.
It has the standard basket, tray, and pouch. The basket conveniently folds so that the three wheel rollator can be folded into a more compact size for transport and storage.
The unit is made of aluminum, and thus very lightweight at 14 pounds. It has 7.5-inch caster wheels that enable the unit to be ideal for use both indoors and outdoors.
The handle’s height can be adjusted from 31 inches to 38 inches, and the rollator itself can support users weighing up to 300 pounds.
- It has large wheels that can easily glide over most surfaces, both indoors and outdoors
- The unit is easy to assemble, no special tools required
- The pouch, basket, and tray provide a lot of storage options for users
- You can store a lot of things here like water bottle, magazines, books, tissue box, cans, jars, among others
- The basket is removable and thus handy for carrying grocery items
- You can even use the tray for rolling a meal into your room
- Very stable
- Can easily pass through tight spaces
- It collapses from side to side
- It can fit easily into the trunk of small cars
- It’s not stable; can be very wobbly at times
- Instruction manual is tough to understand
- Durability is questionable; some users say the wheels can easily get stuck and pieces will start to fall off after a few weeks of use
- It can be hard to re-attach the basket
- Poor customer service/support
3. Lumex3-Wheel Cruiser: GF 3-Wheel Cruiser
Many users think this is the best three wheel rollator in the market today. It is very lightweight at around 10 pounds, so carrying it in the car trunk will not be a problem at all.
It has 8-inch black wheels that make it perfect for use indoors and outdoors. It also has a zippered carry pouch for storing personal items.
This rollator can provide ample support to adults who weigh up to 250 pounds. The height of the handle can be adjusted from 33 inches to 37 inches.
It is ideal for users who stand from 5’6 to 6’5. Its width is 25 inches.
- Very stable
- Very lightweight
- It is easy to assemble as you only need to attach the handlebars. The unit comes practically pre-assembled
- Minimal effort required in turning the unit and navigating narrow aisles and spaces• Fold up easily
- Take up minimal space in public spaces
- It fits inside most car compartments
- The wheels are bigger than those of other rollators
- It can go through uneven terrain with relative ease
- The bag is spacious enough for a water bottle, book, and phone to fit in
- A bit expensive
- A bit wide and thus may not get inside a narrow bathroom
- Quite stiff
- Lacks tray
- Handles can be loose
4. NOVA Medical Products Traveler 3-Wheel Walker
Like the Lumix model, this 3-wheel walker can provide support to users who weigh 250 pounds or less.
Its handle can be adjusted from 33 inches to 37.25 inches, which makes it ideal for the use of adults up to 6 feet, 2 inches tall. It weighs 14 pounds.
The rollator measures 24.25 inches wide, which should enable it to go through most doors.
It has easy-to-use locking handbrakes, plus a large zippered pouch and a large basket. There’s also a tray included in this rollator.
- Small footprint makes it more maneuverable, takes up less space at home
- Easy to fold and collapse
- Lightweight and thus easy to carry to the trunk of the car
- It can accommodate most adults
- Its pouch and large basket can provide a substantial number of items
- Large rubber wheels that can easily go through gravel and uneven surfaces
- Brakes work well
- Easy to assemble
- The basket hangs off for easy removal
- Very stable
- Zippered carrying pouch is big and useful
- A bit pricey
- The front wheel flips back and forth rather quickly
- The basket can fall off quickly after a bump
5. Walker 3 Wheel Trio Roller Walker
Finally, this three-wheeled walker from the brand Walker is another good choice if you’re looking for a stable support for you or a loved one.
It has 7.5-inch wheels that can allow easy maneuverability of the unit and lock hand brakes for safety.
There’s a large vinyl bag for storing personal items, and it quickly folds for convenient storage in the trunk.
The Walker has a user weight capacity of 250 pounds and is very lightweight at 7.5 lbs. It is the lightest unit on this list. Its handle can be adjusted from 31.75 inches to 38 inches, and its width is 25.5 inches.
- The triangular design takes up very minimal space
- It is very easy to assemble and doesn’t require any special tools
- The height of the handle can be adjusted to accommodate users of all sizes
- The wheels are of the right size. Can run smoothly over uneven terrain, and quiet when used indoors
- Oversized storage bag where a lot of items can fit in
- There’s also a separate pocket for phones and an ID
- The handles are not secure• Connector bolts have the tendency to loosen quickly
- Not ideal for adults standing more than 6'2.”
- Brakes cannot be locked when the rollator is not in us
Our Recommended 3 Wheel Rollator
As you can see, those five products listed above would all make a good rollator for you or a loved one.
These are well-designed, compact, and easy-to-use wheeled walkers that can allow any adult to be independent and move around faster than using the standard medical walker.
But you may ask—what is the best three wheel rollator in the list?
We’ll go with the NOVA Medical Products 3-wheel walker. We like that it is of the right size and weight.
Its small footprint makes it easy to bring to public places. It is easy to fold into a more compact size, and it has a large pouch and basket. The wheels are strong and sturdy to glide even through the most difficult terrain.
It can be a bit pricey, but we’re confident that anyone who buys this will not regret making the purchase because of the quality of the product. We highly recommend the said three wheel rollator.